Monument details

HER Number:200/2/5
Type of record:Building
Name:The Applehouse, Crewe Park Hall

Summary

Grade II listed former dovecote,built around 1636. It is octagonal red brick with a tiled roof. Now used as a storage building.

The Romans appear to be the first to have used dovecotes to give a supply of fresh meat though there are no remains of such structures in Britain. Dovecotes and pigeon houses were introduced to Britain from France in the 11th century. They were normally circular buildings with pivoting ladders that allowed the removal of young birds and eggs. They represent an important source of fresh meat for the estates they were built on and the droppings were used as fertiliser. In the 16th and 17th centuries the droppings were as essential source of saltpetre used in the manufacture of gunpowder. In Medieval times, they were allowed only on the estates of lords or monastic land. Laws were passed in the 18th century, to enable others to build them.


Parish:CREWE GREEN, CREWE AND NANTWICH, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • DOVECOTE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • LANDSCAPE PARK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STOREHOUSE (Post Medieval to AD 21st CENTURY - 1540 AD to 2050 AD)
Protected Status:Listed Building (II) 1138668: THE APPLE HOUSE; Listed Building (old) (II) 5/19: Title not entered



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund