Monument details

HER Number:1716
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Bradley Green

Summary

Possible deserted medieval village at Bradley. A settlement is first mentioned here in 1259. Aerial photographs show five or six small house platforms, fronting onto an old road winding across the field past Bradley Hall. These building platforms are at the centre of three possible open field systems. It is a Scheduled Monument.

Medieval and later villages were abandoned by their inhabitants for many reasons. The effects of disease and poor harvests made rural living difficult, and whole communities are thought to have relocated to urban settlements. Landowners sometimes relocated settlements for aesthetic reasons and for landscaping. Once abandoned the villages quickly became derelict and were not inhabited again surviving only as earthworks, often visible only from aerial photographs. They can also be identified by documentary evidence or the presence of a church where there is no settlement.


Parish:BRADLEY, CHESTER, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT? (Deserted village, Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (?))
  • DITCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PLATFORM ( some (1-100), Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1016527: Medieval Village and Field System Remains Immediately South of Bradley Hall



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund