Monument details

HER Number:4054/0/1
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Pickett-Hamilton fort 600m south east of Limekiln Farm

Summary

The concrete shell and underground remains of a Pickett-Hamilton fort at a former United States Airforce (USAAF) base at Burtonwood. Built after the commissioning of the airfield for the Royal Air Force in 1940 and completed in 1941. The monument is visable above ground only as a four meter wide circular slab of concrete. The internal workings including the hydraulic jacks are intact, albeit severely rusted. Fort is 600m south east of Limekiln farm, Burtonwood and is one of three built for this airfield.


Parish:BURTONWOOD, WARRINGTON

Monument Types

  • PICKETT HAMILTON FORT (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1020869: Pickett-Hamilton Fort 600M South East Of Limeklin Farm



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund