|Type of record:||Archaeology|
|Name:||Medieval & Post Medieval settlement remains & associated field system immediately E of Overton Hall|
Possible deserted hamlet of Overton, comprising 3 or 4 steadings with a field way. There is a single building platform, with small enclosures adjoining, probably representing a farm. On either side of an old road leading from the first site, are 2 further platforms, one probably the site of a cottage and its garden, the other, a larger building, posssibly a barn. From their association with some old field boundaries it seems that the buildings were probably of medieval or post- medieval date.
Medieval and later villages were abandoned by their inhabitants for many reasons. The effects of disease and poor harvests made rural living difficult, and whole communities are thought to have relocated to urban settlements. Landowners sometimes relocated settlements for aesthetic reasons and for landscaping. Once abandoned the villages quickly became derelict and were not inhabited again surviving only as earthworks, often visible only from aerial photographs. They can also be identified by documentary evidence or the presence of a church where there is no settlement.
|Parish:||OVERTON, CHESTER, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER|
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT? (Deserted hamlet, Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD (?))
|Protected Status:||Scheduled Monument 30392: Medieval And Post-Medieval Settlement Remains And Associated Field System Immediately East Of Overton Hall; SHINE (Yes) CH13729: Agricultural Earthworks at Overton Hall|