Monument details

HER Number:2945/0/1
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:RAF Cranage Airfield Defences - Battle Head Quarters

Summary

The World War II defences of the former Airfield at Raf Cranage are a Scheduled Monument. It has been divided up in to six areas. These are the Airfield Defence Head Quarters and Gun pit, three complete Pillboxes, one demolished Pillbox and an aircrew Sleeping Shelter. It was built as an aircraft storage facility shortly before the outbreak of World War Il.

The battle headquarters at RAF Cranage was built to a standard Air Ministry design and became operational in August 1941. It was originally surrounded by an earth bank for blast protection but this has now worn away. It is built of concrete and brick and the entrance is through a steel entrance hatch and down a short flight of steps. Inside are a series of offices and living accomodation. There is an observation post with a narrow viewing slit on the east side and a machine gun post on the south side. It housed four men, armed with three light machines and a rifle. Ammunition was stored in a central underground store.


Parish:CRANAGE, CONGLETON, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • BATTLE HEADQUARTERS (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1020762: World War II Defences Of The Former Airfield Of Raf Cranage



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund