Monument details

HER Number:2945/0/0
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:RAF Cranage Airfield

Summary

The World War II defences of the former Airfield at Raf Cranage are a Scheduled Monument. It has been divided up in to six areas. These are the Airfield Defence Head Quarters and Gun pit, three complete Pillboxes, one demolished Pillbox and an aircrew Sleeping Shelter.

The airfield was built as an aircraft storage facility shortly before the outbreak of World War II. By August 1940, it had become a Relief Landing Ground for No.5 Flying Training School. By November 1940 it was a school of Air Navigation with training using Avro Ansons. It remained there until 1944.

The No.96 (Night Fighter) Squadron was formed at Cranage flying Mk.1 Hurricanes in the air defence of Liverpool. Wellington bombers also operated from Cranage, being assembled at the nearby Vickers-Armstrong shadow factory and test flown from Cranage prior to delivery to their units. In 1941, 96 Squadron moved from Cranage to RAF Wrexham. During their stay at Cranage, concrete runways were requested but they were never built, Army track wire mesh and American Pierced Steel Planking (PSP) being used instead. In 1944 the USAF (14th Liaison Squadron) moved to Cranage in preparation for the D-Day landing. General George Patten visited Cranage in 1944 from his Headquarters at nearby Peover Hall. As the war drew to a close, flying at Cranage was reduced. . After the war the RAF used the base as a storage unit until 1954 when it was allocated to the USAF who stationed a number of non-flying units there. In 1957 the base was returned to the RAF and it was closed shortly afterwards.


Parish:CRANAGE, CONGLETON, CHESHIRE EAST
BYLEY, VALE ROYAL, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • MILITARY AIRFIELD (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1020762: World War II Defences Of The Former Airfield Of Raf Cranage



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund