Monument details

HER Number:2944
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Heavy Anti Aircraft Battery at Norley 365m SE of Finger Post Farm

Summary

A Heavy Anti Aircraft Battery (HAA) built around 1950, to house four 5.25-inch guns. It survives as an outline with tarmac tracks and concrete floor slabs. The reinforced concrete generator, gunshed building and the command bunker all survive. This battery was controlled from the Anti Aircraft Operations Room at Frodsham. Together they are evidence for the early 1950s air defence system in Britain.

The guns were intended to protect against high altitude bombers, heavy shells were needed to reach those heights. Anti Aircraft sites were originally built during the Second World War and by 1950 the scheme had been reorganised with 78 sites that covered three regional areas. Forth/Clyde, Mersey/Midlands and London/Southeast - this scheme was known as 'Igloo'. 54 of the anti aircraft sites had permanently mounted guns. Any HAA Battery, constructed after WWII with significant surviving remains is considered to be of national importance.


Parish:NORLEY, VALE ROYAL, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • ARMAMENT DEPOT (1950-55, AD 20TH CENTURY - 1950 AD to 1955 AD)
  • COMMAND POST (1950-55, AD 20TH CENTURY - 1950 AD to 1955 AD)
  • HEAVY ANTI AIRCRAFT BATTERY (1950-55, AD 20TH CENTURY - 1950 AD to 1955 AD)
Protected Status:SHINE (Yes): Cold War Heavy Anti Aircraft Battery at Norley 365m South East of Finger Post Farm; Scheduled Monument 1020982: Heavy Anti-Aircraft Battery At Norley 365M South East Of Finger Post Farm

Related records

2942Related to: Frodsham Anti Aircraft Operations Room (The Beacons) (Monument)



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund