Monument details

HER Number:880/1/2
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Cross Base and Shaft in St Helen's Churchyard

Summary

This cross base and shaft is grade II listed and a Scheduled Monument. It dates to the 15th or 16th century and is built of sandstone and a fragment of the shaft survives and has at some time been converted into a sundial.

Standing Crosses are usually of stone and date from the medieval period, mid 10th to mid 16th centuries AD. They served a variety of purposes from places of prayer and pilgrimage to places of public proclamation. At one time, there were over 12,000 of these crosses throughout Britain but many were destroyed during the reformation. There are now less than 2000 crosses remaining, many incomplete.


Parish:TARPORLEY, VALE ROYAL, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • CROSS (AD 15TH CENTURY to AD 16TH CENTURY - 1400 AD to 1599 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1018077: Cross Base And Shaft In St Helen's Churchyard



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund