Monument details

HER Number:2871/1
Type of record:Building
Name:Site of Hooton Hall

Summary

A house was designed in 1778 by Samuel Wyatt for Sir William Stanley, to replace an earlier courtyard House, half timbered with a stone wing and tower dating back to 1486 when the Stanley’s received a licence to crenellate.

This is the earliest of Wyatt's Villa type houses. Hooton Hall was a simple two storey structure on a rusticated basement. The house was remodelled in the Italianate style, including extensive extensions. The house was used as a militay hospital in WWI and was demolished in 1936.


Parish:ELLESMERE PORT NON-PARISH AREA, ELLESMERE PORT AND NESTON, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • MANOR (AD 15TH CENTURY - 1400 AD? to 1499 AD)

Related records

2871/1/3Parent of: Landscape Park and Gardens at Hooton Hall (Monument)
2871/2Related to: Hooton Deer Park (Monument)
2871/1/1Related to: Hooton Lodge and gates (Building)
2871/1/2Related to: St Helens Well (Monument)



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund