Monument details

HER Number:2854/0/3
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Medieval boundary marker at Saddlebole, 180m west of Findlow Farm

Summary

Stone Boundary Marker standing on a bank that marks the boundary between the late medieval estates of the Stanley and De Trafford families and the parishes of Over Alderley and Nether Alderley. It is one of a group of stones locally referred to as the "merestones", and it is referred to in the perambulation of the boundaries on Alderley edge in May 1598. Excavations in 1997 located evidence for a timber revetment for the bank, with a socket located in between for the stone, which has fallen from its original position.


Parish:ALDERLEY EDGE, MACCLESFIELD, CHESHIRE EAST
OVER ALDERLEY, MACCLESFIELD, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • BOUNDARY BANK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BOUNDARY MARKER (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DITCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1020193: Medieval Boundary Marker At Saddlebole, 180M West Of Findlow Farm



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund