Monument details

HER Number:2854/0/2
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:The Great Merestone medieval boundary marker on Finlow Hill

Summary

A large boulder, half buried in a field on Finlow Hill, 245m east of Mottram House. It lies on the former medieval boundary between the parishes of Nether Alderley and Over Alderley, but later agicultural work has removed the bank on which it must have stood. This stone is referred to locally as the "Great Merestone" and is one of a number mentioned in a description of a perambulation of the parish and estate boundaries of May 1598, as well as much attention as a semi sacred object. The stone is roughly squared with a diameter of 1.3m dia and stands 0.4m above ground level and is made of fine grained sandstone and may be a glacial erratic. On the top surface is a damaged carved cross.


Parish:OVER ALDERLEY, MACCLESFIELD, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • BOUNDARY MARKER (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1020194: The Great Merestone Medieval Boundary Marker On Finlow Hill, 245M East Of Mottram House



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund