Monument details

HER Number:2854/0/1
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:The Golden Stone Boundary Marker, 250m north west of Edge House Farm

Summary

This is a large rectangular boulder of Engine Vein conglomerate lying within an earth field bank adjacent to the road at Edge House Farm. Mentioned in the Alderely mere stone perambulation of May 1598 and indicated on the enclosure map. There is evidence that this has been partly quarried away, with a bore or a shothole visible and also pick marks and there is evidence for early working or hammering to the base. It could either be an erratic boulder or it may have been rolled to this position. It could also possibly be a recumbent standing stone.

The stone was used as a boundary marker for the late Medieval estates of the Stanley and De Trafford families and also lies on the boundary between the parishes of Over Alderley and Nether Alderley.


Parish:NETHER ALDERLEY, MACCLESFIELD, CHESHIRE EAST
OVER ALDERLEY, MACCLESFIELD, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • BOUNDARY STONE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1020192: The Golden Stone Boundary Marker, 250M North West Of Edge House Farm



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund