Monument details

HER Number:2850
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Heavy Anti-aircraft gunsite, 400m west of Sutton Fields Farm

Summary

World War II Heavy Anti-aircraft gunsite at Sutton Weaver. The site consists of 5 gun emplacements, the command post, 2 garages with maintenance bays and a generator building. There was also accommodation for the staff in huts to the south of the complex, but these have not survived.

The station was first mentioned in 1940 and by 1942 it was armed with four 3.7in guns supported by GL MkII radar and manned by the Home Guard. It was not retained for use after 1945. The gun emplacements are arranged in an arc around the SE and SW sides of central command post and four of these survive as concrete octagonal open pens, with concrete roofed boxes used to store ammunition and a concrete roofed shelter. The concrete command post occupies the centre of the site and is partly below ground.

This well preserved site is a Scheduled Monument.


Parish:SUTTON, VALE ROYAL, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • ANTI AIRCRAFT BATTERY (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1019849: Heavy Anti-Aircraft Gunsite, 400M West Of Sutton Fields Farm; SHINE (Yes): WWII Heavy Anti-aircraft Gunsite 400m West of Sutton Fields Farm



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund