Monument details

HER Number:104/1/1
Type of record:Building
Name:Castle Hotel, Formerly Halton Courthouse and Gaol

Summary

Castle Hotel, formerly Halton Courthouse and Gaol, Grade II* Listed, built between 1737-8 by Henry Sephton and John Orme, for Lord Cholmondley, on the site of the medieval gatehouse of Halton Castle (see 104/1/0). To the north of the courthouse there are six rock cut cells assumed to be lock-ups. Two, originally three, folly walls flank the courthouse, excavations indicate a construction date for these of circa 1800.


Parish:RUNCORN & WIDNES NON PARISH AREA, HALTON

Monument Types

  • CELL BLOCK (AD 18TH CENTURY to AD 19TH CENTURY - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
  • COURT HOUSE (1737, AD 18TH CENTURY to AD 19TH CENTURY - 1737 AD to 1899 AD)
  • GAOL (1737, AD 18TH CENTURY to AD 19TH CENTURY - 1737 AD to 1899 AD)
  • FOLLY (Circa 1800, AD 19TH CENTURY - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
  • HOTEL (AD 20TH CENTURY to AD 21st CENTURY - 1900 AD to 2099 AD)
Protected Status:Listed Building (II*) 1115543: THE CASTLE HOTEL PUBLIC HOUSE; Scheduled Monument 1015606: Halton Castle: A Ruined Shell Keep Castle On The Site Of An Earlier Motte And Bailey; Conservation Area (Active) 019: Halton Conservation Area

Related records

104/1/0Related to: Halton Castle: Medieval Shell Keep Castle on site of motte & bailey (Monument)



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund