Monument details

HER Number:1837/1/1
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Garden gateway at Tilstone Hall 130m South of Tilstone Hall Farm

Summary

Tilstone Hall Folly, Off Tilstone Hall Lane, is a grade II listed building and a scheduled monument. The monument includes the ruins of a two-storey gatehouse for a walled garden originally attached to Tilstone Hall. The house was built around AD 1600 by Thomas Wilbraham of Woodhey and, after damage during the Civil War, was pulled down in about AD 1740. The gatehouse is all that remains of this mansion and its garden. The gatehouse, which is listed Grade II, is built of red sandstone ashlar with some brickwork repairs to the structure and brick infilling of the window openings. On the south west front there is a central pedestrian archway with moulded springers and ovolo moulding to the arch voussoirs. This was flanked by mullioned widows with pediments over, now blocked with brickwork. The north east face is similar, with a central archway and blocked mullioned windows. One cabled Doric column survives on the right hand side of this doorway. The ther columns are now missing.


Parish:TILSTONE FEARNALL, CHESTER, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • GATEHOUSE (AD 16TH CENTURY to AD 17TH CENTURY - 1567 AD to 1632 AD (?))
  • FOLLY (AD 18TH CENTURY to AD 19TH CENTURY - 1700 AD to 1899 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1018339: Garden Gateway at Tilstone Hall 130m South of Tilstone Hall Farm; Listed Building (II) 1160231: TILSTONE HALL FOLLY

Related records

1837/1/0Related to: Tilstone Hall (Monument)



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund