Monument details

HER Number:1996/1/2
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Standing Cross in St Lawrence's Churchyard Stoak

Summary

Sundial, southwest of the Church of St Lawrence, Stoak. It forms part of an ancient cross, probably cut down in Puritan times. The monument includes the remains of a medieval standing cross in the churchyard of St Lawrence's Church, Stoak. It has been broken off half way up the shaft and a sundial set onto the top. The base is a single massive block of local sandstone square and measuring 0.72m wide and 0.2m high above the turf. The socket is square and 0.35m wide into which is set the lower part of a shaft, square at the base, rising to octagonal through darts carved at the corners. The shaft stands 1.25m high and a sundial plate has been inserted in the broken top. The gnomon is missing. A plate has been set into the north side and a drilled hole in the south side may have supported another plaque. It is reasonably well preserved despite conversion to a sundial.


Parish:STOKE, CHESTER, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CEMETERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • SUNDIAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • VILLAGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status:Listed Building (old) (II) 4/35: Title not entered; Conservation Area; Scheduled Monument 1016856: Standing Cross in St Lawrence's Churchyard, Stoak



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund