Monument details

HER Number:1109/1/2
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Standing medieval cross 10m south of the nave of St Mary's Church

Summary

Base and part of shaft of a medieval standing cross in the churchyard of St Mary's church. On top is sundial. It is a Scheduled Monument.

Standing Crosses are usually of stone and date from the medieval period, mid 10th to mid 16th centuries AD. They served a variety of purposes from places of prayer and pilgrimage to places of public proclamation. At one time there were over 12,000 of these crosses throughout Britain but many were destroyed during the reformation. There are now less than 2000 crosses remaining, many incomplete.

That this cross has been converted into a sundial is an indication of a strong local reaction to the iconoclasts (people who destroyed religious imagery).


Parish:SANDBACH, CONGLETON, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • SUNDIAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1016852: Standing Medieval Cross 10M South Of The Nave Of St Mary's Church



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund