Monument details

HER Number:523/2/4
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Two Cockpits 125m West of Lymm Hall

Summary

The remains of two embanked enclosures which were constructed as cockfighting pits. The date of their construction is probably contemporary with the building of Lymm Hall, which dates from the 17th century. The site consists of two interconnected arenas surrounded by a bank which forms a figure '8' in plan. In the centre of each arena is a dressed stone pedestal which stood 0.6 metres high and supported a stone table on which the birds were matched for sport. This site is a Scheduled Monument.

Cock fighting was a popular activity for all levels of society until it was made illegal in 1849. There are few permanantly sited cockpits and this one had probably survived because it is on a private estate.


Parish:LYMM, WARRINGTON

Monument Types

  • COCKPIT (AD 17TH CENTURY - 1600 AD? to 1699 AD?)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1018340: Two Cockpits 125M West Of Lymm Hall



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund