Monument details

HER Number:1902/1/1
Type of record:Building
Name:Peel Hall

Summary

The present Peel Hall was built in 1637 by Henry Hardware IV. It was originally built as an Artisan Mannerist house. This would have been rectangular with a centrally placed hall and short crosswing, facing east.

The remains of what was originally a Jacobean mansion, where the east entrance front and the northern crosswing have been demolished, leaving the remains of a central 1st floor, 2-storey hall of some magnificance, showing only as a number of blocked openings on the outside walls. Its advanced plan can be compared to the contemporary Raynham Hall, Norfolk.

Col. Roger Whitley entertained King William III here, on his way to Ireland and the Battle of the Boyne on 1690

An earlier hall with a medieval peel tower is beleived to have occupied the site. This earlier hall was described in 1610 as a 'dwellinge house with all housinge belonging to the same with the Hempyarde, Towre trees, Broome croft, Dove house, two gardens, two orchards, Pooles Panns and Connyes Hopyard'.


Parish:HORTON CUM PEEL, CHESTER, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • MANSION HOUSE (Mansion House/Hall, AD 17TH CENTURY - 1637 AD to 1637 AD)
Protected Status:Listed Building (old) (II) 2/34: Title not entered; Listed Building (II*) 1130527: PEEL HALL

Related records

1902/1/2Related to: Brick lined feature at Peel Hall, Ashton Hayes (Monument)



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund