Monument details

HER Number:568/1
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Barrow Old Hall Moated Site, Great Sankey

Summary

Barrow Old Hall was originally a timber-framed house surrounded by a moat. It was one of six moated sites in the medieval township of Bold. Barrow is first mentioned in 1330 when Alan de Barrow was given a messuage there. In 1466 Barrow Hall Lane and Barrow Acre appear in a survey of Great Sankey. Early 17th century inventories record the existence of a hall, parlour and larder and the three hearths recorded for the Hearth Tax in 1662-6 suggest a small domestic dwelling. The Tithe map for Bold shows a water filled moat surrounding a rectangular platform. On this stood a rectangular building, with two wings on the eastern side. Barrow was sold in 1859 as ‘An ancient moated mansion, containing many excellent rooms surrounded by agreeable and productive grounds and gardens, with stables and outbuildings attached’.

Its medieval associations with the principal manor of Bold Old Hall and its position on the edge of the township suggest that its development as a moated site may have its origins in the 14th century. Limited archaeological excavations in 1986-7 revealed the remains of a 17th century timber framed building and evidence for an earlier medieval timber hall. Towards the end of the 19th century the 17th century hall was converted into a country cottage. This was demolished in the 1920s.

The moat platform is surrounded on three sides by a water filled moat c.12m wide. The northern arm of the moat has been infilled and the western arm is spanned by a bridge dated 1812. A short channel connects the eastern arm of the moat with a tributary of the Whittle Brook. This may have utilised a sluice to control water levels in the moat. Limited archaeological excavations in 1986-7 of the northern marm of the moat revealed traces of a 'necessary house' or privy. The moat itself was partially infilled with demolition debris. In 1995 further limited archaeological excavations along the western arm of the moat indicated that this arm had been cleaned out in the nineteenth century.


Parish:GREAT SANKEY, WARRINGTON

Monument Types

  • MANOR (AD 14TH CENTURY - 1300 AD to 1399 AD)
  • MOAT (AD 14TH CENTURY - 1300 AD to 1399 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (AD 17TH CENTURY to AD 20TH CENTURY - 1600 AD to 1999 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1013363: Barrow Old Hall Moated Site, Great Sankey



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund