|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Bradlegh Old Hall moated site and fishpond|
Bradlegh Old Hall was originally a 15th century moated manor house. The present Grade II* listed structure is late 16th century (with possible earlier features) but was cased in brick in the late 18th century. Today only the fortified gatehouse and moat remain of the medieval manor house.
Records show that the site passed to the Legh family through marriage in the early 15th century. In 1466 it was owned by Sir Peter Legh III who was responsible for the building of a fine new hall, three new rooms, a fine parlour, new kitchen, bakehouse and brewhouse together with a new stone tower above the well defended gate, and a fine chapel all built by Sir Peter legh. In addition there was an old chamber called the knights chamber. All were surrounded by a palisaded ditch with a drawbridge.
There is a narrow L-shaped fishpond to the west of the moat. Fishponds were often part of large estates or monasteries in medieval times. Fish was an important part of the diet for the rich, particularly for those in religious houses where abstinence from meat was frequently required.
Bradlegh Old Hall is a well preserved moated sites. Moated Sites are characterised by a waterlogged ditch that encloses a platform of land where buildings were built though they were also used for horticulture e.g. orchards. They were most popular in medieval times though not necessarily for the defensive advantages of being on an island as they were also seen as a sign of prestige. There are approximately 6000 across England with over 200 moated sites in Cheshire alone.
- BRIDGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DITCHED ENCLOSURE (Enclosure-ditched, Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GATEHOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
|Protected Status:||Scheduled Monument 1011885: Bradlegh Old Hall Moated Site And Fishpond; Listed Building (II*) 405593: GATEHOUSE TO BRADLEGH OLD HALL; Listed Building (II) 405594: BRADLEGH OLD HALL|