Monument details

HER Number:523/2/3
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Ice House at Lymm Hall

Summary

The Ice house at Lymm Hall was partly demolished in 1950, but much of the structure remains. The access to the icehouse was was through a brick tunnel on the north side of the chamber and ice was loaded into the ice house from the moat.

For a long time, there were few ways of preserving food other than salting and pickling. From the 17th century, the idea of an Ice house was introduced to large estates. They were structures built to house blocks of ice to prevent them from melting. They were well insulated and partly underground. The ice was obtained from ponds and lakes frozen in the winter months. Sometimes fields were deliberately flooded by farmers to provide extra income.


Parish:LYMM, WARRINGTON

Monument Types

  • ICEHOUSE (AD 19TH CENTURY - 1800 AD? to 1899 AD?)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1011146: Lymm Hall Moated Site And Ice House



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund