Monument details

HER Number:512/0/0
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Thelwall Burh

Summary

The building of a burh at Thelwall in the reign of Edward the Elder is recorded in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle and can be dated to AD 918. Edward of Mercia took a number of precautionary measures against the Norse settlers in Lancashire - he decided to strengthen the Mersey line by blocking the two north-south routes across the valley - the first by the road focus at Manchester, where the Roman fort was refurbished, and the second by blocking the Roman road at Warrington, with a fort at Thelwall. The Burh at Thelwall was primarily a fort, not a town, so the site was probably quite small and less than nine acres in area. There is no definite location for the burh though there are a number of possibilities. There is a suggestion that burh may have been located in one of the loops of the River Mersey named as "detached parts of Thelwall" on OS maps. The most strategic position would have been the loop on which the ancient ford crossed the Mersey in Latchford. However no archaeological evidence for the site has been detected either in Thelwall or Latchford.


Parish:GRAPPENHALL AND THELWALL, WARRINGTON

Monument Types

  • BURH (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)

Related records

512/0/1Related to: Earth Bank at Greenfield House (Monument)



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund