Monument details

HER Number:935/1/2
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Dovecote at site of Aston Old Hall, 40m east of Gamekeepers Cottage

Summary

A Dovecote at the site of Aston Old Hall is a Scheduled Monument and a Grade II listed building. It was built in 1691 and has brown brick walls on a sandstone plinth. It is now roofless. It was originally divided into 2 chambers by a wall up to the roof. It is important as it is one of the few double dovecotes in England.

The Romans appear to be the first to have used dovecotes to give a supply of fresh meat though there are no remains of such structures in Britain. Dovecotes and pigeon houses were introduced to Britain from France in the 11th century. They were normally circular buildings with pivoting ladders that allowed the removal of young birds and eggs. They represent an important source of fresh meat for the estates they were built on. In Medieval times, they were allowed only on the estates of lords or monastic land. In the 18th century, laws were passed to enable others to build them.


Parish:ASTON, VALE ROYAL, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • DOVECOTE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • MANOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1018703: Dovecote At The Site Of Aston Old Hall, 40M East Of Gamekeepers Cottage; Listed Building (old) (II) 3/41: Title not entered



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund