Monument details

HER Number:849
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:The Headless Cross on Tarporley Road 230m NW of Greenlands

Summary

A 'Headless Cross' is shown on maps of Cheshire by Bryant (1831) and Heaton (1819). All that now remains of the cross is the socket stone. It is mounted on a modern block and stands in its original position beside the medieval road to Vale Royal Abbey. The cross shaft is missing. It is a Scheduled Monument.

Standing Crosses are usually of stone and date from the medieval period, mid 10th to mid 16th centuries AD. They served a variety of purposes from places of prayer and pilgrimage to places of public proclamation. At one time, there were over 12,000 of these crosses throughout Britain but many were destroyed during the reformation. There are now less than 2000 crosses remaining, many incomplete.


Parish:OAKMERE, VALE ROYAL, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CROSS BASE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1013476: The Headless Cross On Tarporley Road 230M North West Of Greenlands

Related records

850Related to: The Longstone, part of a cross shaft on Longstone Lane/Shay's Lane (Monument)



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund