|Type of record:||Archaeology|
|Name:||Kelsborrow promontory fort on Castle Hill 300m SW Castle Hill Frm|
Kelsborrow is a univallate (single rampart) promontory hillfort situated on the central Cheshire Sandstone Ridge immediately south of Kelsall village. It is situated on Castle hill facing south over the valley of the Dee. The hillfort is comprised of a single curving bank. The remaining sides of the enclosure utilise the steep cliffs of the Ridge for defence. The main enclosure is roughly triangular in shape and is approximately 2.94ha. As a result of plough damage the bank currently stands to height of just 0.4m high and has been spread so that it is 30m in width. A possible entrance way is noted at the eastern end of its 400m length.
Kelsborrow was Scheduled in 1973. It is one of a small group of forts in central Cheshire and despite extensive plough damage survives reasonably well. There is a strong potential for surviving below ground features across the hillfort.
Although originally believed to have an external ditch running parallel to the bank, recent investigations at the hillfort in 2009 have suggested that the ditch is post medieval in date. Scientific dating from the bank itself suggest that the hillfort was constructed some time in the late Bronze Age.
|Parish:||DELAMERE, VALE ROYAL, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER|
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Bronze Age to Iron Age - 1000 BC to 42 AD)
- LAYER (Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 840 BC)
- SETTLEMENT (Bronze Age to Iron Age - 1000 BC to 42 AD)
- UNIVALLATE HILLFORT (Bronze Age to Iron Age - 1000 BC to 42 AD)
|Protected Status:||Scheduled Monument 1013294: Kelsborrow Promontory Fort On Castle Hill 300M South West Of Castle Hill Farm|