Monument details

HER Number:762/1/1
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Medieval monastic grange, Marton Hall Farm

Summary

Marton was originally held by Ranulph de Merton when it was known as the manor of Merton. It became a grange farm of Vale Royal Abbey in the 13th century. A Grange is an area of monastic land that lies outside the Abbey's main land holdings. They were usually farms and were run by the laymen of the monastic order or by hired labour.. In 1539 the Abbey lands were confiscated by Henry VIII and granted to Thos Holcroft, who sold them to the Mainwaring family, who built a Tudor manor house and enlarged the exisiting moat. Archaeological investigation found a number of medieval ditches with 14th century pottery. There was no evidence of permanent medieval occupation, so the grange may have been staffed only intermittently by monks from Vale Royal. The site is a Scheduled Monument.


Parish:WHITEGATE AND MARTON, VALE ROYAL, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • GRANGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1009863: Marton Moated Monastic Grange, Three Fishponds, Connecting Channels And Base Of Stone Cross



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund