Monument details

HER Number:793/1/2
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Cross Base in the Churchyard of St Chad

Summary

Ten meters from the chancel of St Chad’s Church, stood in its original position, is a stone cross. Originally erected as a preaching cross around 1543, only the base and part of the cross shaft survives. It consists of a cross base and fragment of the cross shaft and was erected as a preaching cross in. The top of the shaft has been sawn off level to form a surface for a brass sundial, dated 1745. This cross, probably a replacement for an earlier one, is a Grade II Listed Building and a Scheduled Monument.

Standing Crosses are usually of stone and date from the mid 10th to mid 16th centuries AD. They served a variety of purposes from places of prayer and pilgrimage to places of public proclamation. At one time, there were over 12,000 of these crosses throughout Britain but many were destroyed during the reformation. There are now less than 2000 crosses remaining, many incomplete.


Parish:WINSFORD, VALE ROYAL, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • PREACHING CROSS (1543, AD 16TH CENTURY - 1523 AD to 1563 AD)
  • SUNDIAL (AD 18TH CENTURY - 1745 AD to 1745 AD)
Protected Status:Listed Building (II) 1310386: CROSS BASE IN CHURCHYARD OF ST CHAD; Scheduled Monument 1013782: Standing Cross In The Churchyard Of St Chad's Church, Over, 10M From The South Wall Of The Chancel; Conservation Area 096: St. Chad's (Winsford) Conservation Area

Related records

793/1/1Related to: Church of St Chad (Building)



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund