Monument details

HER Number:850
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:The Longstone, part of a cross shaft on Longstone Lane/Shay's Lane

Summary

Medieval sandstone cross shaft fragment set on a modern sandstone base on a concrete plinth. The site of the cross is on the medieval road and which led to Vale Royal Abbey. Other crosses in this area point to a set of waymarkers skirting Abbots Moss and taking the medieval traveller to the abbey. The stone is a Scheduled Monument and Grade II listed.

Standing Crosses are usually of stone and date from the medieval period, mid 10th to mid 16th centuries AD. They served a variety of purposes from places of prayer and pilgrimage to places of public proclamation. At one time, there were over 12,000 of these crosses throughout Britain but many were destroyed during the reformation. There are now less than 2000 crosses remaining, many incomplete.


Parish:LITTLE BUDWORTH, VALE ROYAL, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER
WHITEGATE AND MARTON, VALE ROYAL, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • CROSS SHAFT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • RELIGIOUS HOUSE (Religious Site, Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • STANDING STONE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1013475: The Longstone, A Part Of A Cross Shaft On Longstone Lane At The Junction With Shay's Lane; Listed Building (II) 1310464: LONG STONE

Related records

849Related to: The Headless Cross on Tarporley Road 230m NW of Greenlands (Monument)



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund