Monument details

HER Number:762/2/1
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Marton Grange


Marton was originally held by Ranulph de Merton when it was known as the manor of Merton. It became a grange farm of Vale Royal Abbey in the 13th century. A Grange is an area of monastic land managed by laymen that lies outside the Abbey’s main land holdings. In 1539 the Abbey lands were confiscated by Henry VIII and granted to Thos Holcroft, who sold them to the Mainwaring family, who built the Tudor manor house.

The manor house was a half-timbered residence, with a domestic chapel attached and was surrounded by a moat. It was demolished in 1848. Illustration show the house as having ornate timber framing. A ground plan shows the house with a central hall flanked by 2 pantries, a kitchen on the right and the old chapel on the left. Behind the kitchen are the salting house, cellar, bake house and oven and behind the chapel are the dining room and a sitting room. The house was fronted by a rectangular courtyard. Excavations in 1971 revealed that the Tudor brickwork was still in place in some areas and the lines of walls were marked by robber trenches. An area of cobbling over some medieval ditches may have been the coutyard to the manor house. The hall was probably built with stones from the Abbey buildings at Vale Royal. The site is a Scheduled Monument.


Monument Types

  • CHAPEL (Chapel-room, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GREAT HALL (Hall-room, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • KITCHEN (Kitchen-room, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • MANOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • MANOR HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • MOAT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1009863: Marton Moated Monastic Grange, Three Fishponds, Connecting Channels And Base Of Stone Cross

Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund