Monument details

HER Number:932/1/1
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Middleton Grange

Summary

The site of the moated Middleton Hall and Chapel is a Scheduled Monument. The site consists of a monastic moated grange together with 8 fishponds and connecting channels.

Within Aston, a parcel of land called Middleton Grange is recorded which could be the Mid-Eston mentioned in the Domesday Book 1086 which belonged to St Werburgh's Church in Chester. A Grange is an area of monastic land that lies outside the Abbey's main land holdings. They were usually farms and were run by the laymen of the monastic order or by hired labour. There function was to provide agricultural produce for the parent monastary. There was an early chapel for Aston at Middleton Grange, where the the priest was provided by Norton Priory. This chapel later fell into decay and was replaced by the chapel at Aston

In 1920, excavations in the moat revealed stone blocks in the shape of octagonal pillars which probably formed the base for a timber bridge.


Parish:ASTON, VALE ROYAL, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • BRIDGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DITCHED ENCLOSURE (Enclosure-ditched, Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • GRANGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT ( 2 of, Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1009847: Middleton Moated Monastic Grange, Eight Fishponds And Connecting Channels



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund