Monument details

HER Number:837/1/2
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:The Chamber in the Forest (Merricks Hill)

Summary

Site of the hunting lodge of the Dones. Records show that Richard Donne, Forester, was directed to build a chamber in the Forest of La Mare for the convenience of the foresters. This was the hunting lodge of Dones. The building was pulled down and rebuilt more than once. Two other buildings were built in the 16th or 17th century and continued in domestic use until the early 18th century. Sandstone foundations of three buildings and a 14th century culvert have been surveyed by the Ordnance Survey. Eddisbury was first included on the Schedule in 1934.

In 2009 a new project to study the hillforts of Cheshire included a re-excavation of Eddisbury. The work was carried out in two phases between 2010 and 2011 and included 15 trenches across Merrick’s Hill and the main enclosure by volunteers under the guidance of the Habitats and Hillforts Project leader and Earthworks Archaeology as well as a further five trenches at Merrick’s Hill by the University of Liverpool. The results provided more detailed phasing of activity at Eddisbury based on stratigraphic analysis as well as scientific dating including radiocarbon, archaeomagnetic and Optical Stimulated Luminescence (OSL) dating techniques.

Although there is a significant amount of documentary evidence for the medieval Chamber in the Forest, the substantial structural remains recorded by Varley in the 1930s and attributed to the medieval period have recently been re-evaluated in light of recent investigations of the site and the original archives from Varley’s excavations by the University of Liverpool. This work suggests that much of the evidence was later, dating to between the 16th and 18th century.

Excavation of collapsed features on Merricks bank as part of geological investigations in 2003 uncovered a set of stone steps that appear to be from the medieval phase buildings.


Parish:DELAMERE, VALE ROYAL, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • DEER PARK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DRAIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • LODGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ROYAL PARK (Royal Forest, Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WALL (Wall-stone some (1-100), Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1013295: Eddisbury Hillfort East Of Old Pale Farm



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund