Monument details

HER Number:722/1
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Castle Northwich

Summary

The Castle Hill area of Northwich derives its name from the site of an ancient fortress commanding the junction of the Dane and the Weaver. The site of the fortress is a triangular field of about 3 acres, bounded on the other side by a small brook. Its present remains consist of 2 high mounds of unequal heightand there are no remains of walls, or indications of other earthworks. Excavations have shown the mounds to be natural and eartworks shown on OS plans of the area are terraced gardens.


Parish:NORTHWICH, VALE ROYAL, CHESHIRE WEST AND CHESTER

Monument Types

  • CASTLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (?))
  • MOUND ( 2 of, Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Conservation Area



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund