Monument details

HER Number:1377
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Standing cross base near junction of Church Lane & Woodhouse Lane

Summary

Stone base for a medieval preaching cross in the centre of the original village of Gawsworth. The cross consists of plinth of dressed gritstone blocks rising to two steps surmounted by a gritstone block cut into 2 steps with a fragment of shaft pinned and cemented to the top. It stands in its original position beside the road junction on what is now a fenced triangular lawn known locally as the Pleasance. It is a Scheduled Monument .

Standing Crosses are usually of stone and date from the medieval period, mid 10th to mid 16th centuries AD. They served a variety of purposes from places of prayer and pilgrimage to places of public proclamation. At one time, there were over 12,000 of these crosses throughout Britain but many were destroyed during the reformation. There are now less than 2000 crosses remaining, many incomplete.


Parish:GAWSWORTH, MACCLESFIELD, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CROSS BASE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1013783: Standing Cross Base Near The Junction Of Church Lane And Woodhouse Lane, 600M Nnw Of New Hall Farm



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund