Monument details

HER Number:1583/1/2
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Standing cross in St Christopher's churchyard

Summary

The Preaching cross in St Christopher's Churchyard is Grade II listed and a Scheduled Monument. The base is probably medieval and made of two large square stone blocks. A tall octagonal shaft and cross-piece were perhaps added when cross was repaired in late 18th and early 19th century. The letters E T are cut into the side of the top stone of the base.

Standing Crosses are usually of stone and date from the medieval period, mid 10th to mid 16th centuries AD. They served a variety of purposes from places of prayer and pilgrimage to places of public proclamation. At one time, there were over 12,000 of these crosses throughout Britain but many were destroyed during the reformation. There are now less than 2000 crosses remaining, many incomplete.


Parish:POTT SHRIGLEY, MACCLESFIELD, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • CEMETERY (Graveyard, Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • VILLAGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Listed Building (old) (II) 5/94: Title not entered; Scheduled Monument () 1018358: Standing Cross In St Christopher's Churchyard; Conservation Area



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund