Monument details

HER Number:1332/4/2
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Cross in the churchyard of the Church of St James

Summary

Scheduled Monument and Grade II listed Stone cross base. It is a square cross-base and octagonal shaft on stepped plinth. There are moulded beasts at the corners of the plinth. It dates from the 15th century. Set on top of the shaft is a modern wooden cross.

Standing Crosses are usually of stone and date from the medieval period, mid 10th to mid 16th centuries AD. They served a variety of purposes from places of prayer and pilgrimage to places of public proclamation. At one time there were over 12,000 of these crosses throughout Britian but many were destroyed during the reformation. There are now less than 2000 crosses remaining, many incomplete.


Parish:GAWSWORTH, MACCLESFIELD, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CROSS BASE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1017842: Cross In The Churchyard Of The Church Of St James; Conservation Area



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund