Monument details

HER Number:1213/3/2
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Cross in the churchyard of St Lawrence's Church

Summary

Scheduled Monument and Grade II listed Cross Base and Cross in the Churchyard of St Lawrence at Peover Hall Park. The cross base is 15th century and the shaft dates to 1907. It is a standing cross on a base with three steps. The shaft is a memorial to Philip Tatton Mainwaring from 1907. A portion of the original shaft survives as a sundial elsewhere in the churchyard.

Standing Crosses are usually of stone and date from the medieval period, mid 10th to mid 16th centuries AD. They served a variety of purposes from places of prayer and pilgrimage to places of public proclamation. At one time, there were over 12,000 of these crosses throughout Britain but many were destroyed during the reformation. There are now less than 2000 crosses remaining, many incomplete.


Parish:PEOVER SUPERIOR, MACCLESFIELD, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • CEMETERY (Graveyard, Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CROSS BASE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CROSS SHAFT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1018027: Cross In The Churchyard Of St Lawrence's Church; Listed Building (old) (II) 5/74: Title not entered; Registered Park or Garden (II) GD1634: Peover Hall



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund