Monument details

HER Number:1321/1/2
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Churchyard cross at St James' & St Paul's Church

Summary

The Cross in the Churchyard of St James and St Paul is Grade II listed and a Scheduled Monument. It dates to the 14th or 15th century. It is an octagonally shafted cross on stepped square plinth. The cross shaft is broken and the rest of the cross is in the church.

Standing Crosses are usually of stone and date from the medieval period, mid 10th to mid 16th centuries AD. They served a variety of purposes from places of prayer and pilgrimage to places of public proclamation. At one time, there were over 12,000 of these crosses throughout Britain but many were destroyed during the reformation. There are now less than 2000 crosses remaining, many incomplete.


Parish:MARTON, MACCLESFIELD, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • CEMETERY (Graveyard, Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • VILLAGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1017841: Churchyard Cross At St James' And St Paul'S Church; Listed Building (old) (II) 5/26: Title not entered



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund