Monument details

HER Number:1240/1
Type of record:Building
Name:St John's Church

Summary

Before the present church of St John was built, Knutsford was a parochial chapelry, a daughter of the mother church of Rostherne. The chapel was situated in Cross Town, near to Booth Mere and was constructed in the early 14th century. In 1741 the parochial chapel had decayed and an Act of Parliament was obtained making Knutsford an independent parish and a new Church of St John was built in the town in 1744. The old parochial chapel was taken down. Tomb slabs have been arranged to form a rough outline of where the church once stood. The site of the parochial chapel of St John is a Scheduled Monument.


Parish:KNUTSFORD, MACCLESFIELD, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCHYARD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1014378: Site Of St John's Church And Surrounding Burial Ground, 400M Nw Of Booths Mere

Related records

1240/0/0Related to: Crosstown & Over Knutsford (Monument)



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund