Monument details

HER Number:1438
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Standing cross on Prestbury Rd, 150m SE of Lane End crossroads

Summary

The cross on parish boundary, south-east of junction with Macclesfield Road is a Scheduled Monument. It dates to the 11th century and was moved slightly when the road widened in around 1935. It is buff sandstone tapering circular shaft with a raised band just above half way. Above this four faces have been cut which may have traces of carving and the top is broken off. It is about 1.3m high. It has been described as a 'staff-rood' cross, similar to three cross shafts in Macclesfield Park.


Parish:PRESTBURY, MACCLESFIELD, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • BOUNDARY (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
  • CROSS (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1014113: Standing Cross On Prestbury Road, 150M South East Of Lane End Crossroads; Listed Building (II) 1139575: CROSS ON PARISH BOUNDARY 145 METRES SOUTH EAST OF JUNCTION WITH MACCLESFIELD ROAD



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund