Monument details

HER Number:1446/7/1
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:West Mine

Summary

West Mine, and its neighbour Wood Mine were copper mines developed between 1857-1878. West Mine was initially an open cast mine (dug from the surface without shafts or tunnels) and is now filled in. It is marked on the 6 inch OS 1st edition, 1881 as "Alderley Edge Mines, Copper and Lead".

Members of the Derbyshire Caving Club remember the mine being walled up and infilled with municipal waste in the 1960’s.


Parish:NETHER ALDERLEY, MACCLESFIELD, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • COPPER MINE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • COPPER WORKING SITE (Copper Working, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • INDUSTRIAL SITE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • QUARRY (Quarry pit, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1020181: Wood Mine Cobalt Works And Associated Mines, 340M East Of White Barn Farm

Related records

1440/0/0Related to: Alderley Edge Mines (Monument)



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund