|Type of record:||Archaeology|
|Name:||Cross base in the churchyard of St Mary's Church|
Scheduled Monument and Grade II listed socket stone for two crosses. It was found in 1958 during the digging of a drain behind Disley Church. A piece of lead is set into one of the two socket holes. The stone base is thought to be the setting for two Saxon crosses which are now lost. Two other crosses were found here in 1848 but were removed to Lymm Hall. An early font bowl was also discovered during the 1958 diggings and now rests close to the porch of the church.
|Parish:||DISLEY, MACCLESFIELD, CHESHIRE EAST|
- CROSS (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- CROSS BASE (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
|Protected Status:||Scheduled Monument 25631: Cross Base In The Churchyard Of St Mary'S Church; Listed Building (II) 406852: CROSSBASE IN CHURCHYARD; Conservation Area|