|Type of record:||Archaeology|
|Name:||Three early medieval cross shafts in West Park|
3 Saxon circular pillar crosses, now in West Park. They are a Scheduled Monument . They were probably removed from Ridge Hall, Sutton, where they were in use as gate posts. They date from the late 9th / early 10th century. All have circular shafts tapering to a rectangular section above a double role feature. There are traces of weathered interlace decoration visible on the rectangular sections. These cross shafts may give an insight into the flowering of Christianity and may indicate the northern boundary of Mercia in Late-Saxon times.
Predominantly found in the North of England, these highly decorated Anglo-Saxon crosses were put up throughout the 8th, 9th and 10th centuries. The cross heads were small in relation to the shafts, where the bulk of decoration is found. The cross heads could be circular or a plain cross. They are believed to be associated with both religious and community uses (such as burial markers, boundary stones or meeting places)
|Parish:||MACCLESFIELD NON PARISH AREA, MACCLESFIELD, CHESHIRE EAST|
- CROSS ( 3 of, Saxon - 410 AD? to 1065 AD?)
|Protected Status:||Scheduled Monument 1012884: Three Early Medieval Cross Shafts In West Park|