|Type of record:||Archaeology|
Cleulow Cross is a Scheduled Monument. It is a grit-stone pillar standing on a raised mound. The socket stone in which it is fixed is nearly 4ft (1.2metres) square. The round shaft has the remains of a small wheelhead cross on top. There is no obvious decoration on the surface. It dates from the 9th century.
Predominantly found in the North of England, Anglo-Saxon crosses were put up throughout the 8th, 9th and 10th centuries. The cross heads were small in relation to the shafts. The cross heads could be circular or a plain cross. They are believed to be associated with both religious and community uses (such as burial markers, boundary stones or meeting places)
|Parish:||WINCLE, MACCLESFIELD, CHESHIRE EAST|
- CROSS (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
|Protected Status:||Scheduled Monument 25645: Cleulow Cross High Cross, 200M North Of Fourways|