Monument details

HER Number:1230/2/1
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Chapel of St Peter

Summary

The first chapel was near Tabley Old Hall and was built in the 13th century. In 1675 a new chapel was constructed in the south-east corner of the island adjacent to the Old Hall. It was built of brick and stone and was finished in 1678. In 1927 ground subsidence rendered the chapel unsafe and it was removed to a new site adjoining Tabley House. Fragments of foundations remain on the overgrown site.


Parish:TABLEY INFERIOR, MACCLESFIELD, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1012354: Tabley Old Hall Moated Site And Gatehouse.



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund