Monument details

HER Number:1355/1
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Capesthorne Hall

Summary

Capesthorne is first mentioned in Domesday Book of 1086 as the 'vill of Copestor' where the Earl of Chester held half a hide of land. The lords of the vill in the early days were the Capesthorne family. The medieval manor passed to the Ward family by marriage in 1386. At this time the manor house stood near the water, several hundred yards east of the present house. The old hall was demolished and the new hall was built in 1722. The site of old hall is marked by a brick column in the park to the left of the drive. The remains of the old hall, chapel and settlement are a Scheduled Monument.


Parish:SIDDINGTON, MACCLESFIELD, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MANOR HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MANSION HOUSE (Mansion house/hall, Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 1016590: Earthwork Remains Of A Medieval Hall, Chapel And Settlement, 290M South East Of Capesthorne Hall



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund