Monument details

HER Number:1434/2/2
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Cross shaft in the churchyard of St Peter's Church, Prestbury

Summary

The remains of a Saxon cross at St Peter's Church are a Scheduled Monument. In 1841 these fragments were found built into the church wall. There are three fragments cemented together in the graveyard. The lower two fragments belong together but the top fragment has a different interlace pattern and must be form another cross. They have interlace decoration on all 4 faces and are thought to date to the 8th century.

Predominantly found in the North of England, These highly decorated Anglo-Saxon crosses were put up throughout the 8th, 9th and 10th centuries. The cross heads were small in relation to the shafts, where the bulk of decoration is found. The cross heads could be circular or a plain cross. They are believed to be associated with both religious and community uses (such as burial markers, boundary stones or meeting places)


Parish:PRESTBURY, MACCLESFIELD, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • CEMETERY (Graveyard, Saxon - 410 AD? to 1065 AD?)
  • CHURCH (Saxon - 410 AD? to 1065 AD?)
  • CROSS (Saxon - 410 AD? to 1065 AD?)
  • VILLAGE (Saxon - 410 AD? to 1065 AD?)
Protected Status:Scheduled Monument 25632: Cross Shaft In The Churchyard Of St Peter'S Church; Conservation Area



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund