Monument details

HER Number:1248/1/2
Type of record:Archaeology
Name:Standing Cross at St Wilfred's Churchyard

Summary

A stone cross base in St Wilfrid's Churchyard is Grade II listed and a Scheduled Monument. A massive square sandstone block holds a square cross shaft. A sundial plate is now attached to top. Standing Crosses are usually of stone and date from the medieval period, mid 10th to mid 16th centuries AD. They served a variety of purposes from places of prayer and pilgrimage to places of public proclamation. At one time, there were over 12,000 of these crosses throughout Britain but many were destroyed during the reformation. There are now less than 2000 crosses remaining, many incomplete. The cross is a notable monument of its type and an example of Catholic recusants saving part of the sculpture from destruction.


Parish:MOBBERLEY, MACCLESFIELD, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • CROSS BASE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • SUNDIAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
Protected Status:Conservation Area (Active) 087: Mobberley Conservation Area; Scheduled Monument 1016854: Standing Cross St Wilfrid's Churchyard; Listed Building (II) 1229876: CROSS BASE IN ST WILFRED'S CHURCHYARD

Related records

1248/1/1Part of: Church of St Wilfrid (Building)



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund