Monument details

HER Number:1563/3/1
Type of record:Building
Name:Macclesfield Castle

Summary

Macclesfield Castle is the most interesting of Macclesfield's townhouses. It was built by John de Macclesfield at the end of 14th century. He was an important courtier under Richard II and applied for a licence to crenellate his new house in Macclesfield in 1398 and 1399. This was confirmed in 1410, by which time Henry IV was Monarch and John de Macclesfield had retired to his house in Macclesfield. The house was built on four adjacent burgage plots on the east side of Le Walgate (now Mill Street. The acquisition of the land began in 1392 and was complete by 1938. Eventually John's holdings extended over a frontage of 30- 40 metres, down to the River Bollin. By 1444, the Dukes of Buckingham had bought the de Macclesfield estates from John de Macclesfield's descendants. They extended and enriched the mansion, but their lavish lifestyle led to their bankruptcy and withdrawal from Macclesfield. The castle was then leased by the Savage family, who grew to prominence in the town. In 1585 the house was described as ruinous, and square in plan with two wings and five turrets, one central and one at each angle. It was surrounded by a strong wall and contained a courtyard, stables, kennels and outbuildings. By the 17th century the holding had become redivided into its four plots. From 1793-1811 a room in the castle was used by the Roman Catholic congregation. By 1932 all that remained of Macclesfield Castle was the porch. This was presented to the town, but was threatened with demolition in advance of the building of a new store. In 1933, a Stockport architect made measured drawings before the building was taken down. No site could be found for the re-erection of the porch and some years later it was buried in the lime pit in the Town Yard. The remains of the porch were re-excavated in 1985 and the original architect's drawings were rediscovered. It was in coursed rubble sandstone with ashlar dressings. The inside of the porch had a vaulted ceiling. The central boss carried a coat-of-arms and was surrounded by eight bosses with Tudor roses and oak leaves and acorns.


Parish:MACCLESFIELD NON PARISH AREA, MACCLESFIELD, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • CHAPEL (Chapel-room, Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MANSION HOUSE (Mansion House/Hall, Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • OUTBUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • STABLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TOWN (Borough, Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund