Monument details

HER Number:1542/1/2
Type of record:Building
Name:Chapel and Chaplain's House, East of Sutton Hall

Summary

A grade II* listed sixteenth or seventeenth century Chapel and Chaplain's House. The Chapel was endowed by the de Sutton family in 1524 and continued as a Catholic Chapel under the Davenport and Bellasis families until 1716 when it was converted to Anglican use by Thomas, Earl Falconberg of Newborough. It ceased to operate as a Chapel in 1760 but was restored to its original use as a Catholic Chapel in the 1950s.


Parish:SUTTON, MACCLESFIELD, CHESHIRE EAST

Monument Types

  • CEMETERY (AD 16TH CENTURY to AD 18TH CENTURY - 1500 AD to 1799 AD)
  • CHAPEL (AD 16TH CENTURY to AD 17TH CENTURY - 1500 AD to 1699 AD)
  • CHURCH HOUSE (AD 16TH CENTURY to AD 17TH CENTURY - 1500 AD to 1699 AD)
  • LYCH GATE (AD 16TH CENTURY to AD 17TH CENTURY - 1500 AD to 1699 AD)
Protected Status:Listed Building (II*) 1159446: CHAPEL AND CHAPLAIN'S HOUSE C.7 YARDS EAST OF SUTTON HALL

Related records

1542/1/1Related to: Sutton Hall (Building)



Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council - Working in Partnership
Heritage Lottery Fund